General Technical Questions
How do I download the StoryCorps app?
You can download the StoryCorps app from either the App Store or from Google play.
How do I create a new account?
The StoryCorps app and StoryCorps.me website offer two ways to create a new account: using your email address, username, and password or connecting through your Facebook account. Please note that you should not set up an account using both options as you will end up creating two different accounts.
Creating an Account with Your Email Address
To create an account using your email address, navigate to the “Sign Up” page on StoryCorps.me, fill out the required information, and click the “Sign Up” button.
Creating an Account via Facebook
If you wish to authenticate using Facebook, we recommend that you start by logging into Facebook on your browser.
A window will pop up (please make sure you allow popups in your browser) indicating that you are signing in via Facebook. You will then be taken automatically to your profile page on StoryCorps.me.
Problems Logging In
If you experience problems logging in via the app, we recommend that you troubleshoot the problem using a computer and connecting to the StoryCorps.me website. Please note that you must use your username to log in, not your email address.
To reset your password, click the "Forgot Your Password" link on the Sign Up page. You should receive an email with a link to reset your password (note: this email should also include your username). If you don't receive an email, please check your spam folder.
If you're still experiencing issues logging in, please send us an email at email@example.com. When you contact us, please be sure to let us know whether your issue is occurring on the app, StoryCorps.me, or both. Please also be sure to tell us the username and email address you used to create your account.
How do I delete my account?
To delete your account, please follow these steps:
- Log into your account at the storycorps.me website
- Click on your username in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- Click on "Edit Profile"
- Click "Delete Account" on the left side of the screen and follow the prompts
Please note that deleting your account will also delete any audio files associated with your account (published or not). It is therefore essential to first create a backup of your audio files for your own records or you will lose them forever.
Before you delete your account, please follow these steps to download the interviews you would like to save to your desktop or laptop computer:
- Log into your account at storycorps.me
- Click on your username in the upper right hand corner
- Click on “View Profile”
- Right-click or control+click the cloud icon on the upper right hand corner of the interview box to open each interview
- When the audio file opens, right-click or control+click on the play button and a drop down menu will appear
- Click on "Save Video as" and save the audio file to your desktop or laptop computer
What happens to my interviews if I uninstall the StoryCorps app?
If you delete the app, you will permanently lose any interviews that have been saved only to your device and have not been published to the StoryCorps.me website. If you’ve uploaded your interviews to StoryCorps.me, those interviews will not be deleted when you uninstall the app. We suggest that you log into your account at StoryCorps.me to confirm your interviews are saved there. We also highly recommend that you backup your interviews to your desktop or laptop computer (please follow these instructions) before deleting the app.
Why does the app request access to my phone's mic and camera?
The StoryCorps app asks permission to access your phone's mic so that it can record your StoryCorps interview.
The app also seeks permission to access your camera because you'll be asked to take a photo with your interview partner after you finish recording. Please note that you will not be able to upload your interview without a photo. Participant photos are considered to be an important part of the StoryCorps archive. If you’d prefer not to upload a participant photo, you can take a photo of a piece of paper with the date on it.
How do I edit the participant(s) field associated with my interview?
You have the option to edit your interview in the StoryCorps app or on the StoryCorps.me website. To edit the participant(s) field in the StoryCorps app, please follow these steps:
- Log into your StoryCorps account using your device and open “My Interviews”
- Scroll to the interview that you would like to edit and click on the 3 dots in the lower right hand corner of the interview box
- Choose "Edit Info" and scroll down to the box with your participants
- Edit the participants and click on "Save" in the upper right hand corner. This will also update the interview that appears online at StoryCorps.me.
To edit the participant(s) field from the StoryCorps.me website, please follow these steps:
- Log into your StoryCorps account at StoryCorps.me
- Open “View Profile” and scroll down to the interview you would like to edit
- Click on the edit icon (located to the right of the trash icon)
- Scroll down to point no. 5 (“Who participated in this interview?”) and edit the participants
- Click on “Upload and Share” at the bottom of the page to save your changes
Visit StoryCorps.me Support & FAQ for additional inquiries.